Friday, December 5, 2008

why is that book even in the BIBLE?

One of my new favorite books is Song of Solomon. I just finished the last sermon of the 10-week series by Pastor Mark Driscoll, and wow it's been an eye-opening journey. To be honest, I'm pretty excited to be in a God-exalting relationship. I'm going to listen to it again when I date, and then one more time when I get married!

I think people have a misconception of the book though, and are even ashamed to talk about it. I think pastors are too afraid to preach it sometimes because it's "too X-rated" or "too inappropriate for church. That's bullcrap. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness [2 Timothy 3:16]. That includes the Song of songs. I hate when Christians make a laughingstock out of the Bible, taking verses out of context like "your two breasts are like two fawns, like twin fawns of a gazelle that browse among the lilies....blablabla", and then joke around about it. Ooh my gosh sex and naked people! Grow up, and read the book in context. It's about the most beautiful gift God has given us to enjoy-- marriage. It is meant to be supremely God-glorifying, and I'm really looking forward to it!

-Am I ready to get married? No.
-Am I ready to date? Probably not.
-But you know what? I'm just trusting in God. He knows better than I do when I'll be ready. And I'll tell you what, when that time comes I'm going to love the girl like Christ loves the church (which is a lot).

For anyone who is about to be in a relationship, or is already in one:

4 comments:

billykim said...

As though the Father knew we would need guidance on marital issues; He is so gracious to give us Song of Solomon.

Amen!

suz said...

I'm definitely checking that out after finals..

Whenever anybody jokes around about women having to submit to men, I think about how men are called to love their wives as much as CHRIST loved the church....... That's intense...

good luck on finals, stephen. :)

ChosenCho said...

"your two breasts are like two fawns, like twin fawns of a gazelle that browse among the lilies....blablabla"
wasnt' taht you foo?!!

haha jk jk

good series man good series

Anonymous said...

stevo this was cuuuteee

hahahaha the word verification they're requiring of me in order to leave a comment is:

"mahman"
HAHAH