Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the one who never SLEEPS

I've been really busy these days. I've been pulling all-nighters (or nights with 2-3 hrs of sleep). And it's taking a toll on my body. I am falling asleep in class, and even when I am awake I am in zombie mode. My immune system is running at approximately 15%, and I am constantly tired due to sleep deprivation.

So it makes me wonder, why in the world did God create our bodies with a need for sleep? Why did he create us in a way where we need to be knocked out for 1/3 of our days?

As CJ Mahaney puts it, sleep reminds us that we are weak. We are not self-sufficient. We are dependent creatures. We are not God. There is only One who "will neither slumber nor sleep" [Psalms 121:4]. It's humbling to know that there is only One who never grows tired nor weary. Even a young man like myself is nowhere close in comparison to God. It brings me to my knees.

But even when I do sleep (which seems like it's not that often these days), I am humbled when I open my eyes in the morning. Is it the sunlight that wakes me up? My annoying alarm clock? My other alarm clock? My roommate? Chemical hormones in my body? Nope. It is GOD who sustains me and gets me through the night, and it's also God that lets me arise in the morning. I am unconscious but my heart still beats and my lungs still breathe--yet even that I know is sustained by my Creator. Who can go to sleep tonight and be 100% sure he will wake up in the morning. Not a single person. It is by God's will and power that we see another day. So once again, it humbly brings me to my knees.

Remember. The next time you pull an all-nighter, it is a God-glorifying activity. So pull them more often! And if you happen to go to sleep, it is still God-glorifying because He alone is the One who awakens and lets us live.

Blessed by His Grace.

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

[Isaiah 40:28-31]

3 comments:

ChosenCho said...

Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!"

Lamentations 3:22-24

suz said...

i absolutely loved this entry. i totally feel yah. thanks for the insight, homie

kristin kim said...

"I am unconscious but my heart still beats and my lungs still breathe--yet even that I know is sustained by my Creator. Who can go to sleep tonight and be 100% sure he will wake up in the morning. Not a single person. It is by God's will and power that we see another day."

i love that part! it's a great quote.. hm ima post it somewhere and credit you haha but wow great post, i really related :) thanks for linking me to it