Thursday, November 20, 2008

a rotten SEED

I read an article and learned a little biology today:
"Yet before this force of life can be released, the hard outer shell must be broken down, allowing moisture and other nutrients into the heart of the seed. In a sense, the seed must decay before it begins to live and grow."

Giant Sequoia trees, apple trees, dandelions--every plant starts off as a seed. But before it can sprout, the seed itself must die. The seed shell rots, and that is when life truly begins for a plant.

It reminds me of my own spritual life. I had to die to myself before life truly began. "Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it." [Luke 17:33] And when I finally died to myself and surrendered to the One, God allowed me to blossom by the power of His grace. First my prideful shell decayed. Then I drank the Living Water of the gospel. And lastly I got my daily Sonlight. Now it's the season to start bearing them fruits! :)

If you haven't done so already, I urge you to give up everything and take up that cross-- it's infinitely worth it. Only God can make something dead into something alive.

For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise
spring up before all nations.
[Isaiah 61:11]

2 comments:

ChosenCho said...

i hope my outer shell seed keeps decaying.

Grace Joy Kim said...

amazing how we can continually see the glory of God through the works of creation and providence even today. thank you for pointing that out.