Monday, April 13, 2009

HIGHSCHOOL dances

Remember all those dances in high school? Homecoming dance, Backwards dance, Sadies, Prom, etc. Ooh~ I used to just love them. And I still remember, we would all dress up nice with our TJ Max suits and go out to eat in some fancy 2-star restaurants. Then we'd come back to school, to find our North Gymnasium decorated and transformed to the appropriate theme. We would check in our coats/shoes with the teachers, and then run off into the dark, misty, strobe-lighted, music-blaring dance world.

The young little 13-17 year olds that we were--my friends and I always came in thinkin' like we were the hot shots, the studs. It was always, how many girls can you dance with tonight? How low can you get? Watch this new move.~ What's the maximum number of girls you can dance with at the same time? Look how dangerously low my hands go. Hey bro I need backup my legs are getting tired. Haha there was more bumping and grinding than the 405 freeway during traffic hour. But it was oh so fun! Until suddenly....it ended. Oh it always came so abruptly.

As we were dancing and freakin', the teachers would always turn on all the lights in the Gym to make us leave. It was such a rude awakening. The music was still blaring, but the fun was gone. You got to see everyone's sweaty oily faces. With the lights on you realized you were in the North Gymnasium, not some fancy nightclub. Suddenly dancing didn't look so cute when all the lights were on. Eww. And the girls felt awkward with everyone visible. Hahaha. I remember those times...

I feel like sin is the same way. In darkness, sin is oh so fun. No worries, no shame. It's all fun and games walking in the darkness. Until BOOM. You're reading the Bible and God turns on that proverbial "light switch". Suddenly the light hits you like a roundhouse kick to the face. Just like when King David was in sin with Batsheba, and then wabam! God reveals to him his sin using the prophet Nathan in 2 Samuel 12. Gotcha! David says in Psalm 90:8, "You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence." Hahaha I hate it and I love it. My prayer: Lord reveal to me the hidden sins of my heart.

In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. [2 Corinthians 4:4-6]

1 comment:

lillychoi said...

Haha I loved this analogy. I enjoyed this~