Monday, April 6, 2009

hUrriCANe ENDURE

So last night my Dad was dropping me off at school and we had a nice little conversation in the car. I was telling him how I get busier and busier every quarter, and that I don't know how I could possibly add more to my already overflowing plate. He laughed and replied get ready--life gets progressively more difficult. There's no threshold that once you pass a certain level, it's all smooth sailing. There's always going to be more responsibility, more bills, more relationships, more ministry, more everything. To sum it up my Dad said "Young man... Life never gets easier." And then he started laughing again "You'll see, you'll see..."

Haha. I feel like our Christian life is exactly the same. I hear many new Christians (including myself) ask, "When does this Christian life get any easier?" The answer: never. Atleast not until we die. I feel like in many ways, the Christian life is like a HURRICANE. Hurricanes are weakest on the outskirts, and get stronger as you go in. The strongest point is right outside the eye of the hurricane, aka the eyewall. The eyewall is a circle of strong thunderstorms that surrounds the eye; here is where the greatest wind speeds are found, where clouds reach the highest, and precipitation is the heaviest. The heaviest wind damage occurs where a tropical cyclone's eyewall passes over land.

Imagine you live on an island and a hurricane is projected to pass above where you are. At first, the sky gets gray and the breeze starts picking up. Then the palm trees start shakin' and it starts raining cats and dogs. Soon you see roofs getting torn off so you hide in your flooded basement. The winds are howling, the sky is dark, and the rain feels like bullets. When will it end? Until you hear silence...you walk outside to see the most eerily beautiful tranquility you've ever dreamed.

Our lives will only get tougher. Suffering will only increase. But Jesus says, "the one who endures to the end will be saved." (Matthew 24:12). So stand firm brethren. And don't worry, Jesus promises us at the end of Matthew, "behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Hang on tight, we'll get to the eye soon. Where perfect peace and tranquility await. No more tears, no more sorrows.

Eye hope to see Christ soon.

"being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" [Philippians 1:6]

Currently listening to:
There Will Be A Day
Jeremy Camp

No comments: